Medical assisting has emerged as the fastest-growing career in healthcare. Employment amongst medical assistants in the U.S. is expected to grow by a staggering 23% through 2028, far outpacing the 5% growth rate for all occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That is an anticipated addition of nearly 150,000 medical assistant positions in the U.S. alone.
With the U.S. unemployment rate at historic lows, filling open medical assistant positions can feel like a daunting task. To meet the demands of the dynamic healthcare talent landscape, employers must modernize recruiting practices. In the technology industry—another sector growing rapidly—top companies such as IBM, Google, and Apple are dropping education requirements and leveraging skills testing to find qualified candidates in today’s tight talent market.
Although medical assistant training and certification programs are available, medical assistants do not legally need anything more than a high school diploma or GED along with on-the-job training. Medical assistant skills assessment tests transform the hiring process by efficiently identifying candidates with the required skills and aptitude to succeed in a position, regardless of work history or certification.
Since medical assistant positions can vary considerably, eSkill’s in-house experts have developed a library of customizable and job-specific medical assistant basic skills tests that can be combined with in-depth single subjects to match the requirements of any position.
Top Skills Tests for Hiring Medical Assistants
eSkill’s medical assistant skills tests are an objective, standardized way of collecting data about candidates’ competencies associated with essential work activities for a wide variety of jobs. Quickly identify qualified candidates with eSkill’s top medical assistant skills tests.
eSkill’s top job-specific skills tests for medical assistant positions:
- eSkill’s Medical Assistant Basic Skills Test
- This test measures candidates’ ability to: perform basic medical and technical procedures, such as measuring patients’ vital signs, administering medications and injections, sterilizing instruments, scheduling appointments, conducting laboratory tests and procedures, and recording information in medical record-keeping systems.
- Subject areas this test covers: medical office administration skills, basic nursing skills, medical terminology, pharmaceutical terminology, and front desk skills.
- Use this test to assess candidates for the following positions: medical office assistant, clinical assistant, and certified medical assistant.
- eSkill’s Patient Care Assistant Skills Test
- This test measures candidates’ ability to: assist patients and help nursing staff with examinations and patient treatment.
- Subject areas this test covers: medical terminology, office administration skills, nursing skills, first aid, home health aide skills, and HIPAA – privacy and security standards.
- Use this test to assess candidates for the following positions: patient care assistant, patient care aide, patient assistance representative, and patient services associate.
- eSkill’s Outpatient Scheduler Skills Test
- This test measures candidates’ ability to: work in a timely and professional manner, understand and use medical terminology and coding, and work with basic computer programs.
- Subject areas this test covers: medical office administration skills, medical terminology and coding, logical thinking and attention to detail, basic arithmetic, and computer knowledge.
- Use this test to assess candidates for the following positions: outpatient scheduling specialist, medical receptionist, central appointment scheduler, medical scheduler, medical patient scheduler, admitting registrar, and office scheduler.
- eSkill’s Medical Records Skills Test
- This test measures candidates’ ability to: prepare and maintain accurate medical records, and communicate effectively with staff and patients.
- Subject areas this test covers: medical office administration, front desk skills, medical terminology, customer service, office filing, attention to detail, and MS Office skills.
- Use this test to assess candidates for the following positions: medical biller, medical collections, medical receptionist, medical clerk, medical file clerk, and medical records technician.
Easily combine eSkill’s job-based skills tests with single-subject skills tests to create a comprehensive evaluation of the skills needed for a particular medical assistant position.
eSkill’s top medical assistant subject-based tests include:
- eSkill’s Medical Billing Skills Test
- Topics covered include: medical coding, legal and ethical concepts, health insurance, and Medicare.
- eSkill’s Customer Service – Healthcare Skills Test
- Topics covered include: handling patient complaints, healthcare clerical duties, healthcare patient scenarios, and providing healthcare support.
- eSkill’s HIPAA – Privacy and Security Skills Test
- Topics covered include: privacy and security rulings, sanctions for HIPAA violations, transaction and code sets, healthcare fraud, and abuse control programs.
- eSkill’s HIPAA – Health Insurance Coverage Skills Test
- Topics covered include: terminology, group market rules, individual market rules, and general provisions.
- eSkill’s First Aid Skills Test
- Topics covered include: basic life support, cardiovascular and respiratory emergencies, and patient assessment.
- eSkill’s Medical Coding Skills Test
- Topics covered include: anatomy and physiology, general coding guidelines, medical terminology, and legal aspects.
- eSkill’s Medical Terminology Skills Test
- Topics covered include: the nervous system, the cardiovascular system, infectious diseases, and the hematological system.
- eSkill’s Basic Nursing Skills Test
- Topics covered include: wound care, nutrition, infection control, and respiration.
eSkill’s medical assistant skills assessment tests are quantitative evaluations that predict future job performance, allowing employers to make data-driven hiring decisions.
Accurately assessing how well-matched a particular candidate is to the job in question is vital to decreasing employee turnover, improving productivity, and reducing preventable errors amongst staff. eSkill’s Customer Support Managers are able to assist hiring teams in matching skills tests with open positions to create accurate, predictive indicators of candidates’ success in a role.
eSkill is an industry leader in creating reliable and valid pre-employment skills tests. With a nearly 20-year record of Equal Employment Opportunity Commission compliance, eSkill offers a defensible, trusted pre-employment testing platform.
Identify medical assisting candidates who have the skill sets required efficiently and effectively with eSkill’s pre-employment skills tests.
Interested in Medical Assistant Skills Tests?
Learn more about the benefits of using eSkill’s medical assistant skills tests to find qualified candidates quickly.
Request a demo today.