The COVID-19 crisis is reshaping the world of work and human capital management processes. For most, the hiring process has gone remote. So, those of us in hiring and recruiting are adjusting to the “new normal” of online candidate vetting.
Fortunately, online pre-employment tests facilitate a quick pivot to a fully-remote hiring process while simultaneously improving quality-of-hire. Here is a look at the top pre-employment assessments for 2020.
Top Six Pre-Employment Skills Tests for the Remote Workforce
The Conference Board, a non-partisan think tank, recently published findings from a survey of human resources (HR) executives surveyed in mid to late April of this year. The study found that 77% of HR executives expect that the number of their employees working primarily from home will increase post-pandemic.
As work from home (WFH) policies become more common, a new set of skills is emerging as a predictor of on-the-job success. These pre-employment tests top our list of “must-haves” as organizations increasingly adopt WFH policies.
- Remote Working Skills Test: eSkill offers a comprehensive, yet customizable, remote working skills test that covers a variety of topics that measure candidates’ ability to work productively in a WFH setting. Topics covered include organizing and planning work, time management, information security, business etiquette and best-practices, proficiency using remote tools, and collaborative skills.
- Digital Literacy Simulation: eSkill’s intuitive simulation software provides test-takers with an immersive experience that replicates online working scenarios. The simulation evaluates candidates’ fluency levels when navigating and executing work functions in a technology-based workspace and covers topics such as basic computer knowledge, use of web browsers, email, and social media.
- Video Conferencing Skills Test: This test is a new addition to eSkill’s vast Test Library and evaluates skills related to both the technical and social aspects of video conferencing. For instance, it evaluates candidates’ abilities to communicate effectively and professionally while video conferencing, including paralinguistic skills, etiquette, and methods to engage participants effectively. The test also measures test-takers’ abilities to navigate and use standard video conferencing features such as electronic hand-raising, chat options, and screen sharing.
- Multitasking: Employees are being asked to manage multiple projects and assume new responsibilities in a variety of area s. This means they need to be able to manage their time effectively as well as multitask. eSkill offers a simulation that companies can use to replicate their work environment and set up tasks prospective hires would perform while on – the – job so they can evaluate their ability to multitask effectively.
- Operating System Skills Test: eSkill offers a variety of operating system skills tests such as versions of Microsoft Windows (i.e. Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Vista, and Windows XP), Apple’s Macintosh OS X, Google Chrome, and Linux. These skills tests are available in varying difficulty levels from basic use to advanced system administration.
- Internet Browser Skills Test: With an assortment of Internet browser skills tests available, eSkill makes it possible to evaluate remote candidates for the exact skill set required by your company. eSkill offers a diverse library of Internet browser skills tests, including multiple versions of Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome. These tests are available in varying proficiency levels, from testing basic user functions such as managing bookmarks to evaluating advanced operations like enabling Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
The pre-employment tests listed above are only some of the skills tests that are available to evaluate candidates for remote positions. eSkill offers an extensive selection of pre-employment assessments for remote and technology-dependent roles, including:
- Email Etiquette Skills Test
- Productivity Software Skills Tests: G Suite and MS Office (multiple versions and difficulty levels)
- Typing Skills Tests (10-key Data Entry, Form Fill, Financial, Medical, and more)
- Social Media Skills Test
- Salesforce Skills Tests (general use and administration)
- Web Merchant Skills
Creating a comprehensive pre-employment test is made simple with eSkill’s Assessment Author. Select a pre-prepared assessment, combine skills tests, edit questions, or add your own questions. With over 800 standard jobs-based and subject-based tests and over 600 modular subjects, configuring a pre-employment assessment that matches the exact requirements of a position is easy.
Top Cognitive Skills Tests for Today’s Dynamic Work Environment
An assumption that technical skills are the most critical to success in the workplace is quite common. However, academic research has proven that an individual’s cognitive abilities are the best predictor of future success. This is especially true in today’s dynamic work environment that often demands complex problem-solving skills to meet quickly changing business demands and rapidly-evolving technologies.
When testing prospective new hires, it is important to evaluate their cognitive abilities. Here are our top two picks for cognitive pre-employment assessments in 2020.
- Reasoning Ability Skills Test: This test measures the candidate’s ability to analyze information to form the best solution or response to the problem presented. eSkill also offers reasoning ability skills tests that measure numerical, verbal, and spatial aptitude.
- Logical Thinking Skills Test: This test evaluates test-takers’ abilities to devise a sensible solution to a problem by drawing conclusions from the information presented.
With the most extensive library of customizable pre-employment tests in the human resources industry, eSkill enables recruiters and hiring professionals to implement a streamlined approach to candidate screening.
Interested in Using Pre-Employment Skills Tests?
Learn more about the benefits of using eSkill’s customizable subject-based and job-based pre-employment assessments to find qualified candidates quickly.
Request a demo today.